Friday 12 June 2015

Pretty colours from outside that I want to make into happy yarny projects

Spring really has most definitely sprung down here in Devon, and the lovely weather is really threatening summer. The bees, dragonflies, sparrows and tourists are all buzzing and frolicking in the sunshine giving happy, busy action to a stage made up of thousands of freshly budding trees and flowers. The colours cheerfully wafting about have been really quite something, and as I have been pootling about my business walking the dog, or taking the baby to see her little baby friends I've been taking a few pictures thinking 'one day I'll make a lovely blanket in those colours...'. I thought you might like to see some of them... 


Purple rhododendrons and an oak tree - I love the idea of using lots of lovely shades of green from dark moss to that nearly-yellow green where the sunlight hits the leaves with a bold contrasting purple. Perhaps in a granny blanket with a flowery motif...mmmmm....


                                                          

The trunk of a paperbark cherry tree. I love that deep lustrous red with the slashes of grey-silver-orange. Don't you think this would make fab legwarmers?


The mossy embankment of an old railway cutting now used as a footpath. If you look closely you can see water dripping from the moss. I love the earthy, rocky tones where the moss has come away and the bright highlights of the long grass in the foreground...


My husband's kilt at a family wedding. A rather summery colour combination isn't it? As you may have noticed, I love bright colour but I definitely wouldn't have put red, orange, blue and yellow with black and white, but it really works! Those ancient Scots knew a thing or two. I think I might make baby girl a little blanket with the Ogilvie colours :)


This was super embarrassing when I took it - I was happily snapping away then realised the owner of the house was watching me taking pictures of her garden wall. Nooooooo! She was very lovely about it though. I wouldn't have thought to put pale mint green with a pastel orange but it looks rather nice with the light purple-grey of the stone and the grass green leafy highlights. Thinking I may have to rethink my aversion to pastels - the trick seems to be to pop in bright highlights..


That said, you can't beat out and proud brights sometimes. :) 


Another subtle colour combination on a spruce pine - again, a cheeky flash of brick red lifts those lovely muted mushroom and pale reddy brown tones.


Red and purple grass seeds. It was windy when I took this and they were blowing about looking green one minute, purple the next, yellow the next.

                                         

Now I generally really hate peachy pink. But look at this! I think the gentle waves of the petals make it look lovely. Perhaps you could get the same effect with a properly soft mercinised cotton that drapes really well?


And finally this Japanese maple in my garden. I think this is just the perfect palate of red, yellows and oranges from the deepest almost burnt-brown to flame yellow. I think it would make a great cosy fireside throw or chunky oversized wraparound cardigan.

What inspires you at this time of year?

Happy weekend everyone!
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment